Monday, October 4, 2010

JUSTICE

 

What can I say about Justice. Hailing from France, the capital city of electronic house music, Justice is signed on to Ed Banger Records, headed by none other than Busy P, one of the most consistently intellectual producers in the business. One of my more recent favorite musicians, Justice's work is pure genius on so many levels. They have currently released only one studio album, and one live album, but there is so much more to talk about surrounding the greatness that is -- Justice.



†  (2007)

My personal album for the year 2007, and maybe best newcomer album of the decade, "Cross" is a fantastic mash of heavy metal electro and synthetic beats. The albums most popular song D.A.N.C.E is not only an amazing jam in itself, but it also has, what I consider to be, one of the best music videos to accompany a song ever:



Directed by SO-ME, this video has been a direct inspiration to me ever since it came out. There are no words to describe this other than "pure fun". It fits with the songs style and mashes the lyrics into modern moving art (literally).

However, this does not even begin to get to my favorite Justice song, by far -- Waters of Nazereth. This song has an explosive beginning and then dives into pure funk goodness for the remainder of the song. I feel like this song represents all that Justice stands for. It's got a heavy funk sound, with harsh electro influences, and beautiful keyboard synth.
I actually used Waters of Nazereth as an alarm clock for a short amount of time because I was so in love with the beginning. And it surprisingly worked well, considering I have a terrible time waking up in the morning.
I would recommend specific songs from the album, but in all honestly, the entire album is so damn good. So check out the entire thing if you haven't.

Also worth recommendation, is their live album titled A Cross the Universe (2008). If you can get past the fact that it's a live album, it features some wonderful remixes and mash-ups of the songs featured in cross. Of note especially is "Phantom Pt. 2" which takes the original Phantom II, a song that was about 2 or 3 minutes long, and stretches it into an 11 minute remix of pure orgasmic electronic beauty. I have recommended this album countless times to people I know, and even ones that hate live albums have gone up to me and told me "this album is the best thing I have ever listened to". It's amazing, check it out.

RATING: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Great song, i like it!!

    Lots of good electro music comes from france

    ReplyDelete
  2. justice is pretty good

    ReplyDelete